Gustation better known as the “sense of taste” is often confused with the “sense of flavor”. While flavor has odor, texture, and temperature to its credit; taste focuses primarily on 4 basic aspects: sweetness, saltiness, bitterness and sourness.
Now imagine . . . what if your food habits transitioned from the mundane schedule to fixing a date with something highly exciting and “super“. Yes !! you heard that right . . .Superfoods is the term we’re referring to.
These foods are very much, a part and parcel of every running kitchen in an Indian household. Right from Turmeric root, Moringa leaves, Papaya, Goldenberries, Chia seeds, Goji berries, Pumpkin seeds, to Gotu kola (Centella asiatica) or “Brahmi”, each one is said to be nutrient-rich as well as considered to be beneficial for a healthy well-being.
Presenting 3 super must haves, which shall bring about a refreshing and smart change to your life. Because these days it’s all about living life the smart way.
a. Gooseberry – Amla, better known as Gooseberry has always been the repository of Vitamin C. What is amazing about this super food is that the fruit can even be preserved by drying it in sugar syrup. Going a little back in time, as per the scriptures of Hindu Mythology, it was the main ingredient used in chyavanaprasaman- an Ayurvedic preparation supposed to be used by the great Chyavana Maharshi for vigor, vitality and longevity.
1. Gooseberries are high in fiber which add bulk to your stool and help food move through the bowels by ensuring their movements stay regular.
2. Mixing Amla with honey improves eyesight . . . so reach your hand out to the nearest honeycomb err. . .jar around you!
3. An enricher for hair growth and hair pigmentation, it is additionally known for adding a therapeutic value for diabetic patients (courtesy chromium)
b. Carom Seeds (Ajwain) – This natural healer is an effective aid for a wide range of health issues and is on every grandma’s list for quick healers and guardians of your system.
1. Acts as a remedy for indigestion problems and acidity problems.
3. Manages your liver and kidney: A preparation of Ajwain water can also prove to be helpful in treating liver and kidney malfunctions.
c. Ashwagandha (Indian Ginseng) – Having been used for years in the ancient Indian system of medicine, as well as Chinese medicine this wonder herb of eternal youth has itself topping the charts for boosting your supply of antioxidants and regulating the immune system.
1. Ashwagandha works as a powerful aphrodisiac.
2. It has stress-relieving and antidepressant properties that are more effective than powerful drugs used to treat depression and anxiety.
3. Ashwagandha can help prevent or stop the growth of cancer. It is high in antioxidants and cancer-killing properties.